EDUCATIONAL LEARNING EXPERIENCE
Establishing a strong foundation that promotes learning through effective teaching methods, while providing a positive support system for students, staff and families.
We're excited to announce our new website dedicated to Educational Learning Experience! Our new name is elearc.org (Educational Learning Experience Arc)
We're still working on it, but you can preview it here and get access to important documents and dates. Check back frequently for updates.
As per New York State Department of Education’s Recovering, Rebuilding and Renewing: The Spirit of New York’s Schools-Reopening Guidance we have placed our REOPEN PLAN HERE FOR YOU TO VIEW.
While we still wait for confirmation from the Governor on the exact plan for September, please know that we are putting the health and safety of our students and staff at the forefront of everything we do.
August 10, 2020
Please Download IMPORTENT EDUCATION UPDATES concerning school starting in September
Click on Calendar for larger view
or Download our 2020-21 Calendar Here
Instruction is individualized and differentiated to meet our individual students’ needs.
As The Arc Sullivan-Orange Counties NY Educational Learning Experience family, we are “Changing Lives: One Heart, One Mind, One Community” at a time by focusing on our shared vision of excellence in education and creating a culture of kindness and teamwork.
We have been serving children with disabilities since 1954 and as one of the largest private education providers in Orange County, we support up to 45 school age children a year that reside in Orange, Sullivan and other surround- ing counties. The continued positive impact our programs have made over the last 40 years is represented in the adults who have successfully left our schools and led independent lives. Our program has allowed our students to lead productive lives and be active members of their communities.
We serve children ages 3-21 in our school programs.
10 Things You Should Know about Being an ELE Family Member
• We are kind to students. We treat students with respect. We build relationships with students. We discuss behavior with students privately and in a respectful manner.
• We are kind to parents and value their partnership. We provide proactive, not reactive, parent communication with the expectation of building positive relationships with all parents.
• We are kind to each other. We are more than a team, we are a family. We collaborate and support one another because we believe they are ALL “OUR” kids.
• We maintain high expectations for our students and for ourselves. We give 100% every day and expect the same from our students. We support them, encourage them, and are purposeful in our instructional decisions.
• We are open to change, growth, and strive for continual improvement.
• We plan collaboratively and seek the BEST ideas.
• We use flexible grouping in our teachings.
• Lessons, assignments and learning environments are individualized, relevant and engaging without exception.
• Lesson plans should be a tool for guiding instruction; thorough, well planned, and connected to the students IEP’s and standards at all times.
• Our schoolwide expectations, developed through PBIS, should be taught, modeled and followed by all. The use of common language helps our students experience success behaviorally AND academically. We are overwhelmingly positive and work to catch our students being good.
THE ADMINISTRATIVE TEAM
Beth Laub - Assistant Executive Director
Phone: 845-564-1855 Email
Beth has been working in the field of special education for 20 years. She began her teaching career at SAIL at Ferncliff Manor Residential School located in Yonkers NY. She worked with children with multiple disabilities. After many years of working directly with the children developing their individualized programs, she decided she wanted to begin to support the staff so they could support the students and help them all grow to be the best they could be. In 2010 Beth became the Director of United Preschool in White Plains NY where she learned how to become a team’s Director, not the Director of the team. Her philosophy is build your team up so they can leave better than when they started, but support them so they do not want to! Her guiding mantra is “listen to listen, not respond”, it is the only way to understand and meet the needs of our students.
Denise Blair - Assistant Program Director
Phone: 845-344-2292 ext 4149 Email
Denise joined The Arc of Sullivan Orange Counties in 2014, following fifteen years of working with children with disabilities of all ages and in many different capacities. Her career began at Hawthorne Country Day School in Hawthorne, NY teaching Early Intervention, Preschool and K through 2nd grade children with disabilities. She holds a Masters Degrees in Childhood Education and School Building Leadership from Mercy College. Denise views a collaborative school environment as the key to creating successful teachers and students. She believes partnerships with parents and community members are essential to enriching the school experience for each student.
Cheryl Lachant - Curriculum Coordinator
Deborah Bolzan - Senior Speech Supervisor
Lauren Telesmanic - Senior Occupational Therapist Supervisor
Theresa Gurrieri - Senior Physical Therapist
Mission Statement: Our mission is to enable persons of all ages with disabilities to live as contributing, valued members of the community by promoting: Inclusion, Independence, Individualization, Produc- tivity and Self-Determination. Amongst the education department we strive to establish a strong foundation that promotes learning through our effective teaching methods, while providing a positive support system for students, staff and families.
Belief Statement: We believe that all students can excel behaviorally, academi- cally and emotionally when provided with structure, consistency, high expectations and a caring, supportive environment that promotes community partnerships.
Vision Statement: At the Educational Learning Experience, every student is em- powered for success in a safe, loving envi- ronment fostered by compassionate and empathic staff members who value positive relationships and see unlimited potential.
379 Mount Hope Road
Middletown, NY 10940
P: (845) 344-2292
F: (845) 342-2054
New Windsor Location
930 Raz Avenue
New Windsor, NY 12553
P: (845) 564-1855